Welcome to the historical timeline of Old Government House and its occupants. Choose from the timeline above to view the events of that period.
A brief summary of the history of Old Government House is as follows:
Pre-colonisation -The site is occupied by the Burramattagal clan from the Durag tribe.
Governor Arthur Phillip settles NSW and names Rose Hill.
1790 to 1799
Governor Phillip's house is built and town planning commences.
Governor John Hunter takes office in 1794.
Governor Hunter demolishes Phillip's house and builds a new 2 story house on the site.
1800 to 1809
Governor Philip Gidley King succeeds Governor Hunter in 1800.
Governor William Bligh takes office in 1806.
1810 to 1819
Governor Lachlan Macquarie takes office in 1810 and commences major town planning and Government House extensions.
1820 to 1829
Sir Thomas Brisbane takes office in 1821 and. builds the Observatory and Bathhouse in the Governors Domain and the Native Institution in Parramatta.
Governor Brisbane is succeeded by Governor Ralph Darling in 1824
1830 to 1839
Governor Richard Bourke takes office in 1831 and is succeeded by Governor George Gipps in 1838.
1840 to 1849
Convict transportation ceases, the New Government House is built on Bennelong Point and Governor Charles Fitzroy takes office in 1846.
1850 to 1859
Government House Parramatta ceases as a Vice-regal residence and is rented out. Parramatta Park is created.
1860 to 1869
Train line dissects Parramatta Park near the House.
1870 to 1899
Government House Boarding Establishment occupied the house from 1878 to 1897.
1900 to 1909
St John's Preparatory School takes residence. In 1909 a major restoration is undertaken by the Government, and the house is leased to The Kings School. The Kings School Junior boarders are in residence until 1966.
1910 to 1919
Parramatta Park is named a National Park.
1930 to 1939
Sporting events at Parramatta Park start becoming popular.
The National Trust of Australia (NSW) becomes Trustee of the house.
1970 to 1979
Parramatta City Council becomes a trustee of Parramatta Park.
1980 to 1989
Parramatta Stadium was constructed. A permanent conservation order was placed to protect the park.
1990 to 1999
Dairy precinct is developed. Parramatta Park Trust formed and takes over administration of parklands.
2000 to 2009
Soft furnishings project is undertaken. Old Government House is nominated for World Heritage Listing.
Old Government House and Domain awarded World Heritage Listing as part of the Australian Convict Sites listing.